Jewish Apple Cider Cake
Jewish Apple Cake is a staple in Pennsylvania as the weather grows colder and the leaves start falling! It’s dense and flavorful but made with apples so it’s guilt-free, right? We have infused this delicious cake with our Mulled Cider tea.
This recipe was created by lovely Tea Rep: Hyperiontacos
What you will need:
- 1/4 cup of Mulled Cider tea
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup of maple syrup (white sugar will also work)
- 4 tbsp powdered vegan egg replacer
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 1/3 cup of orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Icing sugar
What to do:
1. The first thing you need to do is preheat oven to 350’F and grease a 10” bundt or tube tin.
2. Then, place 1/4 cup of Mulled Cider tea in a large bowl and just cover with boiling water (about 1/8c water). Let sit until the tea pieces are soft.
3. Stir in chopped apple, walnuts, 2 tbsp of the brown sugar, and the cinnamon. Do not remove the tea, it is edible! Combine well and set aside.
4. In a cup, whisk together the vegan egg replacer with 2/3c water and beat until thick and free of lumps. This will act as your binder.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, remaining brown sugar, and maple sugar. Once the mixture is combined, slowly mix in the oil, orange juice, egg replacer solution, vanilla and almond extracts and stir everything together. This should result in a consistency like cookie dough, this is what you want!
6. Sprinkle some of the marinated apple/walnut mix into the bottom of a bundt or tube tin, being careful to leave as much liquid behind as possible. Cover with half of the cake batter, pressing it into the tin so it forms a uniform layer.
7. Next, add half of the apple/walnut mix, again being careful not to transfer excess liquid to your cake. Then, cover this layer with the remaining cake batter and add the remaining apple/walnut mix, sans liquid.
8. Bake at 350’F for 90 mins. Let rest 30 mins, then turn out onto a pan. You then want to sprinkle it with icing sugar and serve!
9. Enjoy with a steaming mug of Mulled Cider (or any tea of your choice).