Bears Like Marmalade Chocolate Cake
This combines two of my favourite things: cake and tea and isn’t overly sweet – which I love. I used the Bears Like Marmalade blend for this cake and I honestly feel as though it takes it to the next level. It’s fresh and fruity and super zesty, a.k.a. perfect for this recipe! I also added a lil bit of chocolate because the cravings are real – and I think they add a special somethin’ somethin’! Feel free to omit them, but I really love the chocolate/citrus combo in this cake!
Recipe by a girl and grey
Serves: 1 cake
What you will need:
- 2 tbsp melted butter, for greasing
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup runny honey 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar + 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 150g melted butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 100ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup brewed and cooled
- Bears Like Marmalade tea
for the icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar plus 1 tsp for sprinkling,
- 2-3 tbsp cooled Bears like Marmalade tea,
- 2 tsp lemon zest,
- small edible flowers (completely optional!)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Brush your cake tin/bundt tin with melted butter and set aside.
3. Put the self raising flour and plain flour into a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the honey, melted butter, eggs, coconut sugar, milk, lemon rind, vanilla and cooled tea.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stir until smooth and completely combined.
5. Gently fold through the chocolate chips. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
7. While the cake is cooling, make the icing by combining the icing sugar and tea, stirring until a thick syrup is formed.
8. While the cake is cooling on the wire rack, pour the icing over the top and allow to drip down and through the wire rack. You’ll want the cake to be ALMOST cooled (but not completely), otherwise you won’t get the nice drippy effect.
9. Once the cake is completely iced, decorate with the flowers, lemon zest, coconut sugar and icing sugar.