Caramel Pear Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie season is here, so it's only fitting to share a delicious recipe with you guys! One of our lovely Tea Reps has created an amazing Caramel Pear Pumpkin Pie and it's making us super hungry! Why not give this a go?!
This incredible recipe was created by Tea Rep: Sinaladina
Serves: 8 - 12
What you will need:
For the dough
- 7g of Spiced Pumpkin Pie
- 350g of butter
- 25g of brown sugar
- 270g of all-purpose flour
- 1 Perfect Tea Spoon of salt
For the caramel pears
- 2 - 3 pears (not too ripe)
- 20g of butter
- 100g of brown sugar
- 1/2 Perfect Tea Spoon of ginger
- 3/4 Perfect Tea Spoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 Perfect Tea Spoon of salt
- 1 Perfect Tea Spoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 dl of apple juice
For the pumpkin paste
What to do:
1. The first thing you want to do is make the dough! So you'll need to start by melting 250g butter in a pan and let simmer together with the Spiced Pumpkin Pie tea for 7 min while stirring constantly.
2. Once you've turned the heat off, let it a cool a little and use a sieve to strain the tea leaves out. You don't want the butter to go solid again, though!
3. Then, mix the tea-infused butter with your flavour and the rest of your butter (100g) until it is fully combined. It will not be as smooth as the normal pie dough, but don't worry, just let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, remove your dough from the fridge and fill your pie tin with half of it, cover it with aluminium foil and ballast it with uncooked rice or beans. Bake on 190c for 50 minutes or until the crust is golden, not brown!
5. Whilst that is cooking, it's time to move on to the caramel pears! So, the first thing you'll need to do is peel your pears and slice them, making the pieces about 2-4cm. Put them in a bowl with a splash of lemon juice and put them to one side for a few minutes.
6. Next, put the butter and sugar in a pan and let it caramelize on a medium heat. Once it had caramelized, add in your spices and give it a good stir.
7. Add the pears into the mixture with a little more lemon juice and reduce the heat so it is only simmering.
8. Mix your apple juice and cornstarch together in a glass and then add to the pear mixture. Give it a stir and then let it cook until the pears become soft and the caramel sauce has thickened.
9. Turn the heat off, cover it and let it cool completely.
10. Moving onto the pumpkin paste! If you want to save this step, you could buy it from the shop but we're going to be doing it from scratch (it's more fun that way!).
11. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200c.
12. Then, peel your pumpkin and cut it into small cubes (about 1 x 2cm big). Place them in a tray and cover them with water.
13. Bake them for 30-40 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and let cool. Once cool, transfer the pumpkin into a bowl (or food processor) with the spices and sugar and blend until smooth.
14. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk the eggs with some milk and add it into the mix & combine.
15. Now that all of our components are made, it's time to construct the pie!
16. Take your baked crust and add the caramel pears, making sure it is spread evenly on the base. Then, place the pumpkin paste on top, making sure there are no bubbles. You can also top it with the rest of your dough in any shape you like (we went for a 'streusel' design).
17. Bake for 60 minutes at 180c or until the pumpkin paste is firm and not liquid anymore. Then, put to one side to cool down.